Friday, July 12, 2013

Matt Barlow Interview

What were the reasons that made you want to become a police officer?

I really felt a sense of pride and personal responsibility because each of my family members had served in the military / law enforcement.  I wanted to contribute to the community and have a stable environment for raising a family.

Do you remember your first assignment as a police officer? How did it go?

I remember trying to get used to shift work…man, that was rough!  It’s pretty difficult working through the night on a twelve hour shift.  I’m much better at it now…I think.

September 11 was a huge worldwide tragedy. What meant to you personally?

It really changed the way I see life.  It made me realize how precious life is, and how fleeting.  Sometimes it takes a tragedy like that to find out things about ourselves.

What can you tells us about your experience with First State Force Band? What kind of gigs did you make?

First State Force Band was comprised of law enforcement officers in Delaware (“The First State” in the U.S.A).  We played different types of music for elementary aged kids at their schools.  The message was; be respectful and keep away from drugs and violence.  I think that it is a great message for kids and a good example for adults, who are around kids, to live by.

In your lifetime, you’ve lived like a rockstar and also helping other people (as a police officer, spreading good messages to kids…). If you had to, could you choose only one lifestyle? Or both of them made you who you are now?

Well, I never subscribed to the “Rockstar” crap…NO OFFENSE!  I never considered myself to be anything other than a musician/ performer.  I always did my best to lead by example, and explain that what I do musically as “entertainment”.  I entertain myself doing it, and hopefully, entertain others with it.  I love and appreciate all of the aspects of my life.  If I didn’t enjoy what I do…I wouldn’t do it.

For the people that might be thinking about becoming a police officer like you did, could you tell us what training, both physical and mental, is required?

Of course, it always helps to be physically fit, but you also need to have the right attitude when entering in to law enforcement.  You will have to understand that it is a regimented lifestyle.  You will be a member of a paramilitary organization, and with that, there are always sacrifices made in your personal life.

What is the hardest police task or mission you’ve been involved with?

That kind of stuff I am really not at liberty to discuss.  Sorry.

Can you tell us what’s the moment you’ve been most proud to be a law enforcement officer and why?

That kind of falls under the same category as the last question, but I can tell you that I always take great pride in representing my agency.

What do you think is the biggest danger that our society is facing? Could you give us any advice or ideas to fix it or eradicate it?

Well, since I am not a politician, and have little or no ability to enact change on a grand scale, I will not attempt to answer that one.

We read in a previous interview in the website metalunderground.com that you lost a fellow officer and friend. Did this experience make you have any doubts about continuing to be a police officer or, on the contrary, made you even more committed to the job?

I am completely committed.  I am proud of what I do and the people I work with.

Does your experience as a police officer influence the music and lyrics you’re writing for your new band Ashes of Ares?

Life always influences how I write, in some way.  I think folks may pick up on some subtleties, but I am still who I am, and will always be.

One last lighter question. Here in our office, we are wondering if you listen to music when you’re doing police work. If you do, is there any particular band or musical style that fits perfectly with law enforcement?

Well, I can give you a short playlist of bands that I like to listen to…they are (in no particular order): Slayer, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Volbeat, Forbidden, Nevermore, Blind Guardian, Iced Earth, Pyramaze, Ashes of Ares…etc., etc., etc.



No comments:

Post a Comment